- nelson mandela -
The Richmond Park Community was forcibly disposed, by the then State, from the Richmond Park property between 1972 to 1986. Most of the 401 families (now ±5,300 displaced people) were resettled in Atlantis as part of the then State’s Industrial Decentralisation Programme. The intention of the Apartheid City and State was to make Richmond Park a place for "Whites Only".
In 1995 the Richmond Park Community lodged a land claim for the restoration of their land and wealth. In order to fulfil the obligations of the Constitution of South Africa, those of the Restitution of Land Rights Act and to implement a process of restitution of land rights and redevelopment to persons disposed of land rights after 19 June 1913, the Regional Land Claims Commission, the City of Cape Town and Department of Public Works publically and formally returned ownership and vacant occupation of the land to the Richmond Park Community for the purposes of developing a mixed use industrial, commercial and retail park.
In 2008 the Richmond Park Community entered into an agreement with Atterbury, Bethel Partners and Qubic to develop Richmond Park. The Richmond Park Community are shareholders in the Richmond Park Development Company, have representatives on the Board of Directors and derive meaningful short-, medium- and long-term financial, skills development, knowledge transfer and empowerment benefits from the Richmond Park project.
Richmond Park is pioneering in terms of social justice and wealth restoration in South Africa and represents an innovative and exciting partnership between community, business, the State and the City of Cape Town.